Due to the continued growth of our team across the UK MHB is recruiting a geotechnical engineer to support the delivery of our projects. Working within our existing teams and reporting to senior engineers who will supervise your work and support your ongoing development, this role will encompass problem identification, feasibility assessment, detailed design and project management. You will be encouraged to take responsibility commensurate with your skills and potential.
With current restrictions it is likely that this role will be predominantly home based for the first part of 2021, although some site work and visits to our offices may be required. Going forward it is envisaged that this role will be office and site based with some home working allowed, in line with our policies and operational requirements.
The ideal candidate will have a minimum of 3 years design experience in civil/geotechnical engineering consultancy, actively working toward achieving chartership status with the Institution of Civil Engineers and be looking for an opportunity for career progression. The job will require a motivated individual who is technically and commercially capable as well as a good communicator.
The individual will be a civil/geotechnical engineer with design experience in the following: earthwork design, slope stability, foundation design, pile design, soil nailing, ground anchors, gravity and embedded retaining wall design and report writing as well as knowledge of Eurocode and CDM regulations.
Rail experience would be an advantage. A good knowledge of Autocad and Slope/W is required as well as general design and MS Office software.
The ideal candidate should be able to:
- Prepare fee proposals and help the company to win work and maintaining good relationships with clients.
- Prepare desk studies, ground investigation scopes and specifications.
- Identify the key geotechnical risks that could affect our projects and propose appropriate management measures.
- Undertake concept & detailed design.
- Prepare technical reports (e.g. Ground Investigation and Geotechnical Design repots).
- Manage the commercial side of the project to ensure achieving good balance between technical excellence and project profitability.
- Able to communicate design via clear and well-presented drawings and sketches.
- Work with fellow colleagues to meet deadline and support less experienced engineers.
- Have the ability to learn and expand his/her knowledge.
This is a Client facing role so the job will appeal to good communicator who likes working with people.
Degree qualified in civil engineering plus MSc in geotechnical engineering.
Clean driving licence.
- Competitive salary
- Paid Overtime
- Annual discretionary bonus
- 21 days annual leave + 8 public holidays (flexibility taken)
- Company Pension Scheme
- ICE approved training agreement
Why Consider This Role
Company has a “can do” attitude.
A chance to prove yourself at a growing company.
Lots of opportunities to gain business experience, dealing with the full cycle of business activities from winning work, carrying it out, as well as developing and running a design team.
About the company
MHB Consultants was established in 2007. Currently has 45 staff based in three offices (Glasgow, Edinburgh and York). Workload is 70% design work in the rail industry with the balance in transportation, energy, heavy civil engineering and structural sectors. Company aim is provide hands on high quality design work. MHB became an Employee Owned company in July 2020. As an employee owned business MHB is always looking for capable and self-motivated team members who want to join a successful business and share in our future success.
Please apply in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org